My dad always asks me, “If someone ever came up to you, and asked you about God, what will you answer? Are you equipped and strong enough to be able to answer the questions that’s thrown your way? Do you have enough teaching to do that?” This week it hit me. Do I know enough to teach someone about God in two minutes?
In the next few weeks we will be teaching about the messages behind our T-shirts, and try equip you, so that if someone asks about what you’re wearing, you’ll be able to answer them. Let’s start with Good News.
“For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life.” -John 3:16
This is the good news. God sent His one and only Son, so that we can have a whole, everlasting life if we believe and trust in Him. He went through all that just to help us, and to put the world right again. Jesus didn’t wait for us to get ready when we choose to. He died a holy death for us when our fickle hearts were too weak to make the decision to get ready ourselves. Just as one person did wrong and got us all in trouble with sin, another person did it right and got us out of it. God put His love on the line for us by giving His Son to die this holy death when we were no use to Him whatsoever. Now that everything has been dealt with, there is no reason for us to be at odds with God in any way.
The good news is this: The life that He lived qualified Him for the death that He died, but the death that He died, qualifies you to live a life that He lived.
“As it is written: “How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news!” -Romans 10:15
So how do you share the gospel in 2 minutes? (when asked about the Good News that you are advertising)
The key is to keep it simple, in language that anyone can understand, covering the fundamental points:
- Everyone has sinned and falls short of God’s glory – Rom 3:23
- God is a righteous Judge and therefore judges all sin. Our just punishment is death, eternal separation from God (hell). – Rom 6:23
- But God loves us so much and has no desire that any be lost, and therefore has sent Jesus to die in our place – John 3:16
- Jesus’ sacrifice was perfect and through this He gives us the gift of eternal life – Rom 6:23
- We need to accept this gift by Faith. Believe in your heart and confess with your mouth that Jesus is who He says He is. Call on His Name and accept Him as Saviour and Lord – Rom 10:9-13
- If you do this, you are a new creation in Jesus, transferred from the Kingdom of Darkness to the Kingdom of Light – 2 Cor 5:17
- Now it is time to START your journey with Jesus: S – Stop trusting in yourself and trust Jesus. T– Turn away from sin. A – Attend a good Bible-believing church. R – Read your Bible. T – Tell someone about your decision.
Do you have any good ideas about sharing the gospel in a short time? Or any testimonies of times that you have done so? We would love to hear from you, please comment below…